Monday, January 01, 2007

Utah: Number One for Light Rail

Utah has the highest allegiance to light-rail in the nation with 32.9% of our public transportation devoted to it. Not many in Utah even use public transportation at 2.6%, let alone light rail.

We build it, but we don't use it.

Take D.C. as an example of one that uses public transportation most heavily and has the highest implementation of heavy rail.

That's efficiency one shouldn't expect from Washington.

My wife tells me I'm too late to stop light-rail, and she's right. Truth be told, I haven't been a loud opponent against it. I'm still getting my voice in some of these things. Maybe I can make more of an impact in 2007.

4 comments:

Bradley Ross said...

We don't all have to use public transportation for all of us to reap the benefits.

Tyler Farrer said...

Ha! I was going to put that in my post preceded with, 'I know what your going to say', but I opted to not do it.

Anonymous said...

We don't all have to use public transportation for all of us to reap the benefits...but that doesn't mean that we still don't need a sizeable minority of people to use it if the benefits are going to outweigh the costs.

Light rail is a huge gamble for Northern Utah's tax payers but the many possible problems which could come to pass if it is under utilized haven't been part of the discussion yet.

Tyler Farrer said...

Jeremy, my thoughts exactly. I think that we're going to have commuter rail in the County, but I wonder what impact, if any, that will have on the numbers that use public transportation?