Friday, January 12, 2007

Time To Compartmentalize

As I peruse the blogosphere in Utah, I can make some general observations about who's blogging.

First, many, many in Utah like to blog about national issues. I count myself in the minority that restricts myself to discussing local issues. There's one good reason that I do this. I don't go jetting off to Washington everyday, and beyond the occasional letter to my national representatives. My sphere of influence is pretty much local. The corollary to this is that I don't seek national recognition for what I say. Why in the world, would the rest of the world be interested in my local worries?

I like to blog about issues over which I can exert some influence. How many, who blog about national issues, have influence in Washington--beyond being one, of a number, of many protesters? However, these same individuals do have the ear of their local leaders in a very personal way.

Second, there seem to be many more Utah bloggers of the more Democratic persuasion. I say Democrat, and not liberal, because I think there are many Democrats in Utah that will side with me on local issues without blinking an eye, despite my clear conservative leanings.

This is why I think that it is time for those who blog on national issues, when they have an issue of concern for them locally, to befriend those that would, ordinarily, be a political adversary.

As we move into the next legislative session, remember, our friends are more important than our enemies.

4 comments:

Jesse Harris said...

I can't understand the obsession with national politics. State and local decisions affect our lives much more than what happens in DC, yet so many people are more concerned about what Congress is doing to the detriment of what goes on in a city council meeting. I'm with you that I feel like I have a chance to get something done at the state level.

George said...

I understand your thinking to some degree but when we have the guy in the White House we do we are all at risk. Thankfully the 'climate of corrution' surrounding the R held congress has changed.

Two more years and counting and this guy will be on his ranch in Crawford and will go down in history as the worst president of the US since Warren G. Harding.

Utahns were easily fooled and the most supportive of the Bush White House and that is changing too. I will keep blogging about Bush and his failed policies.

Anonymous said...

Well said!

I am burned out on blogging national policies and politics for the very reasons you mentioned in this post. I've also gotten to the point where I'm a lot more interested in what is happening locally. Much of that credit goes to this blog! (and the fact that I work for the county now)

Tyler Farrer said...

I don't know how more people don't get burned out talking about issues of which they can't make a difference.

I don't know the answer to that question.