Thursday, May 10, 2007

Mormon And Democrat?

I haven't posted in a while but I've been watching, and one thing this week stands out above the rest.

Centerville Citizen is a Democrat.

No, really. When Centerville Citizen blog began a couple of years ago the posts were much different. Of course, it was run by another guy, formerly known as Centerville Citizen. Just so we're clear, the new Centerville Citizen is a Democrat, and he's changed the title of his blog to reflect this fact.

Some other things we may not have known, that Centerville has revealed.

  • Several former, and current, high ranking "Mormons" are, and were, Democrats.
  • One was also Canadian. (Please don't hold this against Elder Brown).
  • It's perfectly alright to be a Democrat and a member of the LDS faith. (And if one more person asks me how this is possible I'm going to scream because I am not a Democrat and don't make a good spokesman for the other party)
Now, we hear this line of reasoning an awful lot from Democrats in Utah because Republicans do have the seat at the head of the table. Let us remember, though, that Democrats do have a seat at the table which has been a position that makes our Constitutionally based government great!

The minority party does not get 'offed' by the majority, and this system works pretty well for all of us.

7 comments:

George said...

Yes, the former CC was most closely affiliated with the 'R' party always resisting my attempts to recruit him to support Pete Ashdown and others.

For the same reasons President Faust is both a 'liberal' and a Democrat I am also. President Brown enunciated those reasons quite adequately.

I think it is also fair to say Tyler there has been a shift in the public discourse by the First Presidency and by members of the Twelve during the last decade, the Hinckley years. Most of the conservative voices have gone silent.

Thank you for your understanding and if the neo-cons regroup and stage a coup chasing the moderates like you out of their party you are welcome at our table.

Lastly, thinking of some former 'Mormons' I believe King Benjamin's address suggests he had a very ‘liberal’ social agenda and merits reading from time to time especially by those who adulate Ronald Reagan and who have become his disciples.

Former Centerville Citizen said...

Acutally I have never been closely affiliated with the Republican Party. I've always been registered as an independent and last november I voted for more Democrats than Republicans up here in Weber County.

I also put up a box on the left side of the blog that supported Pete Ashdown.

Just thought I'd set the record straight.

Tyler Farrer said...

Wow! I've never been called a 'moderate' before. I'm not sure that I'd characterize myself that way. I am reasonable, but considerably conservative.

And I didn't intend to imply that the former C.C. was Republican just that the current C.C. is trying draw emphasis to the Democratic party.

Natalie Gordon said...

I can't imagine Tyler getting chased out of the Republican party, unless it becomes a place where moderates like me are completely comfortable. Then he might feel chased out to the right and join the Constitution party.

Alice said...

Yep, I wouldn't call Tyler a moderate either...

:)

JM Bell said...

Don't call Tyler a moderate just because he said "Democrat" and didn't follow with "get a rope." One post does not a habit make. LOL

George said...

I think Tyler is getting hammered here just a bit and would still suggest he has some moderate views that could prepare and propel him one day to join the true party along with one or two more of you...