Thursday, June 21, 2007

One More Bigot

After I learned of my own bigotry regarding skaters, I took comfort in one thing.

I'm only one skater bigot.

Now there are at least two such bigots. The other is Mayor Tom Dolan, who bears a certain resemblance to a Mr. Moneybags. He has shut down a skate park in Sandy until its patrons can show more "discipline".

See that's bigoted to call skaters 'undisciplined' like that.

The Mayor should know that, but he's gone and crossed a minority group anyway. What's even more disconcerting is the photo showing Sandy's skate park is behind a fence.

That concerns me because North Salt Lake wants to fence in the skate park to improve the situation and ease tensions between skaters and other groups. It would ease my mind just knowing that a cage like this existed.

Or would it?

Now I understand that Dolan isn't satisfied with a cage, I probably won't be either.

People with prejudices simply cannot be appeased.

3 comments:

RudiZink said...

It would certainly be a bummer if outsiders, i.e., KIDS, had a little fun at a local skatebord park.

I swear you MoMo boys just won't "let up" in your efforts to turn Utah into a 24/7 Sunday school.

Tyler Farrer said...

I've been trying to track down a photo of myself as a young skater, but I can't find it.

So long ago...

I remember distinctly getting yelled at by one car driver, who thought I was going to get myself killed.

That said, I think 'cages' are a good idea! I really don't think it'll stop the swearing, but the gangs might stop trying to fight the skaters. Or if they don't, the fighting will be inside the cage and we could charge admission.

Of course, this is just one bigot's opinion.

RudiZink said...

"I remember distinctly getting yelled at by one car driver, who thought I was going to get myself killed."

Well there you go.

One of the important lessons I've learned now that I'm pushing sixty:

"Don't ever forget what it felt like when you were a kid."