Tuesday, April 13, 2010

County Convention Update

My new commitment to blogging has not yet moved me to post immediately after an event. This hast the advantage of giving me time to reflect and be a little more thoughtful.

That's my story!

The Davis County Convention was on Saturday, and I saw a couple of friends there. It was their first convention, and I took the bull by the horns and tried to convince as many people as I could speak to to see things my way. I went with my Dad, which has become something of a tradition for me, and he was very patient with me this time as I dragged him around trying to talk to more people that he didn't know.

A neighbor of mine attended as a delegate for the first time. He has started a blog called Davis County Republican. He couldn't believe that the name was available. See his blog here.

The key results were as follows.

Bret Milburn (I) -- Commission seat A
Louenda Downs (I) -- Commission seat B
Todd Richardson -- Sheriff
Dennis Yarrington -- Assessor

That last one was an upset as I thought Ivie had done a good job. Everything else went the way I expected and wished. I honestly wish that we'd had better candidates running against the incumbents so that it would have been a real challenge for them. As it was, the two losing Commissioner candidates has some untenable ideas about how to reform the government, although their rhetoric was more conservative, and you know how much I want conservative qualities in my officials. Some examples of some unrealistic goals follow. Dave Andreasen wants to run a fiscally conservative county, but wants to switch out the Commissioner form for the Council Mayor, which would have cost so much more than what we have now. Nine part-time councilmen, and one full-time mayor would require so much more money to keep things running than what we have now. Drew Chamberlain, who ran against Downs, claimed he could lower the commissioner pay by 60 percent. Not likely considering he'd have to convince the other two to take a pay cut. Likely, all he would end up doing is donating the remainder of his pay to charity, not of my choosing, and working as hard as someone who earns $40k may work. My feeling is that if the commissioners think they are actually worth less money, then I am fine with them earning less, but if they work for the full $109,000 they are paid each year, then I am all for that.

Finally, we were scheduled to finish at 2 PM, and we finished at 2 PM. Very strange!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Tyler,

I've discovered that blogging without doing much commenting hampers my writing so I have made a new committment to leaving comments. As part of my own committment and in order to encourage you to take up your excellent blogging more regularly again, thanks for posting about the convention and I'm glad I got to see you there - I felt much more confident in the choices I made after talking with you.

I notced in your post about DJ that you had not met Chet. I wonder if you have any more thoughts about the race for District 20 after hearing Chet at the county convention.

Bill Hawthorne said...

Dear Davis County Watch,

I just have a quick question for you but couldn't find an email so had to resort to this. I am a progressive blogger. Please email my assistant back at barbaraobrien@maacenter.org when you get a chance. Thanks.

Bill

Drew Chamberlain said...

I ran for County Commission. Why can't we cut commission salaries? Had both chalengers won we would have cut salaries in our first meeting. Not just commission but all county salaries. The best way I have found to cut waste is to simply watch for it, and let all department heads know you are watching for it. It certainly works in my business. I get an expense report from every department head that outlines every expense down to the penny, the report already exsists the commissioneers don't review it or ask for it. From the reports I reviewed there is at least 20% that is waste. Never give up.
Drew Chamberlain County Commission
801-913-4611

Anonymous said...

I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.
Wonderful post, really great tips and advice. I was interested by your comment,
Nanjing Flights
penang Flights
koh samui Flights

strat said...

I didn't expect that. Im very impressed.
merchant account services

jeremy said...

Keep focusing on that target. Sooner you will reach your dreams.
bad credit loans

faisal anver said...

Finance
I just found your blog and want to say thank you! What an enjoyable time looking
through so many financial sites. Thanks for sharing

Drew Chamberlain said...

Two years later add what do we have to show for it? Commission salaries are still the major issue of the commission race. This time it goes to a primary. Let's face it, $106,000 a year is just way too much. How about $80,000? How much do they need?

Unknown said...

Microsoft Office 2007 quality and performance
Microsoft Office sales dilemma is two-fold
Microsoft has been working to promote the upgrade
Microsoft cuts Office price on new Macs
Office compatibility is very important
Microsoft has temporarily nixed a controversial plan
Microsoft announced to simplify the communication
Microsoft patch repair may lead
Microsoft Office franchise sales
Office sales in a strong rise in
limited feature version of Office
Microsoft adds Ultimate edition of Office
Microsoft found that there are several
Microsoft to open new ideas to improve
Microsoft has been very clear and positive

bradmaddox said...

The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
LolsGag.Com

Unknown said...


Get Hourly Profit with best business plans ever, Join Now
AllTimeProfit.com