Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Meet the Candidate: D.J. Schanz

I may not be a State Delegate, but I find myself tonight at a meeting with a candidate running for the Utah Representative for my district against Edwards.

Most of the people here are members of the 9-12 group. I've decided that I'm better off not affiliating. At this point I'm a Republican, but that's about it as far as political proper nouns go for me.

D.J. Is an entrepreneur, and has a wife and three kids. He's been Director of Campaign for Liberty.

This is more like a campaign bull session than a meet the candidate night, but I think everyone is of a like mind about D.J's limited government viewpoint.

I've been the only person asking questions like you would normally at one of these meetings.

D.J. is a eloquent, gregarious guy, but based on those with whom he associates, I think I understand his values. I think I share them, and I can't say that I feel that way about the our current representative. He mentioned The Law, by Bastiat and the Constitution as the two documents that have most influenced his thinking.

If you are a State Delegate, and your instinct is to go with the incumbent, then you should think a second time.

I haven't met Chet Loftis, and he could be a very good candidate, so don't consider this an endorsement.

12 comments:

Alice said...

Becky Edwards is the first republican representative in our district that I have felt like at least listens to both sides.

I think she's doing a great job.

Natalie Gordon said...

Yeah - what are your problems with Edwards? Even Ron Mortensen told me he thought she was doing a good job. When have Ron Mortensen and I ever agreed before?

Natalie Gordon said...

Hey, Tyler. I just got off the phone with the Davis County elections office. They confirmed the rumor that I heard from another delegate. DJ has never voted in Davis County. I'm not sure how long he's lived here, but apparently he registered in time to vote in the presidential primary. He didn't actually vote in the presidential primary, the regular primary (Neuenschwander/Edwards, Liljenquist/Mortensen and who can forget the state treasurer's race), the general election that year (president, governor, etc...) or in the heated NSL municipal election last year. If you were a delegate, would this effect your opinion of him? And, is this something that, if I told other delegates, would make people look suspectly on candidates I support? I'm not looking for an "October Surprise," but I do think people should know the truth before voting...Advise...

kristin said...

hey natalie, did you ask the Davis County elections office about Becky's record? She was registered as a democrat so that can mean one of two things she either voted for obama or hillary either way is that how you want to see our "republican" state delegate voting? I would rather her not vote if she is voting that way. Also if she listens to both sides then why do her votes only portray one???

Georgia Connolly said...

Being a Director is a regular position

Anonymous said...

Great blog really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog...
Cheap Flights to Harare
Flights to Harare
Harare Flights

Anonymous said...

I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.
Wonderful post, really great tips and advice. I was interested by your comment,
Hanio Flights
Adelaide Flights
colombo flights

mike said...

Hello, I appreciate you for producing this awesome post. I’m really impressed with your way of writing and how you communicate your message. You’ve got a wonderful future in producing blogs Maryland tile installation and forums, that is certain. Continue the fantastic work.

M. Martin said...

Nice topics enjoyed it..
link building service

Unknown said...

Nice post really helpful for many people, I was looking for this information for a long time please keep writng articles like this.
email marketing service

Unknown said...

Microsoft Office 2007 quality and performance
Microsoft Office sales dilemma is two-fold
Microsoft has been working to promote the upgrade
Microsoft cuts Office price on new Macs
Office compatibility is very important
Microsoft has temporarily nixed a controversial plan
Microsoft announced to simplify the communication
Microsoft patch repair may lead
Microsoft Office franchise sales
Office sales in a strong rise in
limited feature version of Office
Microsoft adds Ultimate edition of Office
Microsoft found that there are several
Microsoft to open new ideas to improve
Microsoft has been very clear and positive

hotelvillapadierna said...

Nice and worthy article to read.
Villa